Polish films to receive international distribution support
by Ola Salwa
- The Polish Film Institute, the main funding body in the country, has introduced a financial scheme that aims to facilitate the theatrical release of Polish films and majority co-productions abroad
Securing an international theatrical release is still a challenge for many Polish films, even if they qualified for big festivals, such as Cannes, Berlin or Rotterdam. From 2019 onwards, the Polish Film Institute (PISF) will provide financial support that is intended to facilitate the foreign release of Polish films, with priority given to arthouse productions previously supported by the PISF.
The annual budget for this scheme is approximately €230,000. The institute accepts applications from Polish producers prepared in cooperation with the foreign distributor. Each applicant can receive up to approximately €9,000 for the distribution of one film in one territory, or up to circa €27,000 for the distribution of one movie in three or more territories. The subsidy is transferred in two instalments: 70% after signing the agreement, and the remaining 30% after submission of the final cost report.
There are a number of additional requirements concerning the number of screens per film: five for animations and fiction features, and three for documentaries. The distributor must invest no less than 50% of the budget, while the qualifying costs are: prints and advertising (P&A), translations, dubbing, and transport of material. There are four calls per year, the deadlines being 25 February, 27 May, 2 September and 12 November.
The new scheme is intended to support and enhance the international distribution of Polish films, while the domestic market is growing annually: 2018 closed with a record-breaking 59.7 million admissions taken. In the first two months of 2019, three films have already exceeded 1 million admissions: Misz-masz, czyli Kogel-Mogel 3 [+see also:
film profile] by Kordian Piwowarski, Planet Single 3 by Sam Akina and Michał Chaciński, and Mafia Women 2 by Patryk Vega.
Twelve Polish films and two minority co-productions with Poland (Pity [+see also:
interview: Babis Makridis
film profile] by Babis Markidis and High Life [+see also:
interview: Claire Denis
film profile] by Claire Denis) were released domestically in the first quarter of this year.
Did you enjoy reading this article? Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive more stories like this directly in your inbox.